background

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Our Family Friday Tradition - Homemade Fish Fry


Although we would love to be able to attend church fish fry on a weekly basis, it does not fit in our family budget to make it a commonplace event in our lives. Living on one budget, the $40.00 a week bill is hard thing to make happen.

We use to live next to a wonderful Catholic family who had six grown children. Along with all of the grandchildren, a weekly visit to a fish fry would cost them hundreds of dollars each week. So, their family would get together before lent and make hundreds of perogies for the freezer and host their own family fish fries, moving it house to house each week. Then, they would go to Church for the Stations of the Cross. I always admired them, they are a close family, one that I hope ours would be like in years to come as my children grow.

A few years ago I decided to start my own family fish fry tradition. I get out the deep fryer, first I cut tortia's in triangles and deep fried them, then dusted them with cinnamon and sugar for dessert. I have a french fry cutter and make homemade deep fried french fries that the kids just love. After I get those out of the fryer, I deep fry a couple pieces of fish. I get the fish from Gordon Food Services, a box that lasts us all of lent only cost me $18.99. We did this last night, and afterwords, went to church. Yes, it is a lot of work for mom, but I think well worth it! I hope in years to come, as the children get older, I will have other hands pitching in to help.

I am a little behind this year, I did not get a chance to make the homemade pergoies, so yesterday I just used store bought ones. Next week I will post a picture of our Friday homemade fish fry, as well as recipe's for the perogies, lazy-mans lasagna, and noodles and cabbage. You can change your menu around every week, I promise this is a tradition that your entire family will soon look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

c

Saint Of The Day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered by WebRing.