background

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Who Did You Have Breakfast With This Morning?


In John 21:12, After the Resurrection, Jesus said to his disciples, "Come, have breakfast". How blessed the disciples were to be able to have breakfast with Jesus, The Bread of Life. Believe it or not, we are able to do the same , by beginning the day reading the Scriptures. In the Byzantine Catholic Tradition, Cannon 27 says that we should read the Holy Scriptures at home at dawn. I am trying to make my this a resolution of mine, to begin the day with at least reading the Gospels for the Day, and the corresponding Psalm & Proverbs (today is the 22nd, so today I would read Proverb 22). It is so easy to get sidetracked and not start the day by doing this, but the fruit of this practice would benefit us throughout our day. There was a Saint of the Church who wrote, "Those who have been walking in a beautiful garden do not leave it willingly without taking away with them four or five flowers, in order to inhale their perfume and carry them about during the day."

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful time to read the scriptures. I have been reading to my littles ones at breakfast. I mostly read them catholic short stories or review catechism. I think I should incorporate the scriptures. Perhaps, if we don't make daily mass I can read according to that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder and encouragement!

    In Christ,
    Lucy
    www.mysticalrosedesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here's a lovely way to start my day, thank you! Tomorrow, I will make it a point to sit down with some tea and a biscuit, and read the bible instead of a novel for the morning.

    God's blessings,
    Grace Marie

    ReplyDelete

c

Saint Of The Day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered by WebRing.