background

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Being in the Presence of God Amongs the Pots and Pans


"God is in the pots and pans." -- St. Teresa of Avila


A devotional classic that you may not have heard is "The Practice of the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence . When someone once asked him how he had such a habitual presence of God in his life, he had said it was because of a willful decision to spend his entire life in God's presence not matter where he may be.

He worked in the monastery kitchen, which was a very busy place to be (kind of being a busy mom?). But in that enviroment, he always maintained his vision of being at the Throne of God always trying to keep his composure and tranquility of spirit. "The time of busyness," he had said, "does not with me differ from the time of prayer, and the noise and clatter of the kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I possess God in as great tranquility as if I were upon my knees at the blessed sacarment." In other writings he says, "Lift up your heart to him, sometimes even. .. when you are in company; the least little remembrance will always be acceptable t Him. You need not cry very loud; He is nearer to us than we are aware of." Brother Lawrence talked continually to Our Lord, therefore he established aHis constant presence. He wrote, "To be with God it is not necessary to be always in Church. We can make a chapel of our heart where we can escape from time to time to talk with Him quietly, humbly, lovingly.

A wonderful prayer to say amidst our busy day:

"Lord of all pots and pans and things, since I've no time to be a great saint by doing lovely things, or watching late with you, or dreaming in the dawnlight, or storming heaven's gates, make me a saint by getting meals, and washing up the plates. Warm all the kitchen with your love, and light it with your peace; forgive me all my worrying, and make my grumbling cease. You who always gave your people food, in the house or by the sea, accept the service that I do - I do it for you."
~ St. Teresa of Avila

No comments:

Post a Comment

c

Saint Of The Day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered by WebRing.